SearchSkip to Search Results
- 14Graduate Studies and Research, Faculty of
- 14Graduate Studies and Research, Faculty of/Theses and Dissertations
- 6Philosophy, Department of
- 4Philosophy, Department of/Journal Articles (Philosophy)
- 2Philosophy, Department of/Book Chapters (Philosophy)
- 2Modern Languages and Cultural Studies, Department of
- 3Department of Philosophy
- 3Department of Psychology
- 2Department of Computing Science
- 1Department of Comparative Literature
- 1Department of Comparative Literature and Film Studies
- 1Department of Elementary Education
Autoepistemic Circumscription and Logic Programming
Technical report TR92-18. We propose a framework of autoepistemic reasoning in which the underlying semantics is determined by the choice of a nonmonotonic inference mechanism and by specifying a belief constraint. While the latter makes the approach flexible in meeting possibly different...
The principle of compositionality states that the meaning of a complex expression is determined by the meanings of its constituent parts and the way those parts are combined. Jerry Fodor has argued that semantic productivity and systematicity require compositionality and that compositionality...
Introduction: It is traditional, at least since Grice, to make a distinction between what is called the literal meaning of an utterance and what is meant by that utterance. The former notion is sometimes thought of as ‘‘the dictionary meanings of words plus standard semantic effects of the...
De l’homogénéisation des associations lexicales créatives dickensiennes : le style dickensien mis à l’épreuve en traductionDownload
In Oliver Twist, many lexical associations are semantically heterogeneous. This phenomenon is visible at several linguistic levels, especially at the syntagmatic level, with metaphorical associations as well as with transferred collocations, and at the sentence level, with semantic zeugmas. These...
In this paper I propose a novel treatment of generic sentences, which proceeds by means of different levels of analysis. According to this account, all generic sentences (I-generics and D-generics alike) are initially treated in a uniform manner, as involving higher-order predication (following...