We will be performing routine ERA maintenance starting 3PM Tuesday Feb 19 until 3PM Wednesday Feb 20. ERA searches and downloads will perform as usual, but the "Deposit" function will be suspended during the maintenance period. When the work is complete, we'll remove this notice. Thanks for your understanding!
SearchSkip to Search Results
- 1Philosophy, Department of
- 1Philosophy, Department of/Book Chapters (Philosophy)
- 1Grant Assist Program (Social Sciences / Humanities)
- 1Grant Assist Program (Social Sciences / Humanities)/Successful Grants Library (SSHRC)
- 1Graduate Studies and Research, Faculty of
- 1Graduate Studies and Research, Faculty of/Theses and Dissertations
Family Trees: Sympathy, Comparison and the Proliferation of the Passions in Hume and his PredecessorsDownload
Hume dubbed his Treatise account of the passions “new and extraordinary” — an assessment echoed by many contemporary scholars, who find his analysis of the social operation of the emotions particularly innovative. But Hume's explanation of how passions and sentiments are transferred, shared,...
Objectors to Hume’s sentimentalist moral theory charge that a system of morality grounded in sentiments cannot provide us with a set of standards that are stable across times and places. Hume addresses this worry in his appeal to what he calls the General Point of View, accounting for how we...
SSHRC IG awarded 2016 (2015 competition): My research is directed at clarifying the familiar, but poorly understood notions of passion, power and representation. These concepts play distinct roles in diverse branches of philosophy, but they intersect naturally in several places, and examined...