SearchSkip to Search Results
- 3History and Classics, Department of
- 1History and Classics, Department of/Book Chapters (History and Classics)
- 1History and Classics, Department of/Reports (History and Classics)
- 1History and Classics, Department of/Journal Articles (History and Classics)
- 1Integrative Health Institute (IHI)
- 1Integrative Health Institute (IHI)/2017 Integrative Health Institute Conference: Contemporary Insights for Optimizing Health
A Manual of Library Desk Practice as practised at The Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine or Zen in the Art of LibrarianshipDownload
Preface: This document is intended to be helpful to Library Assistants and others who have tours of duty at the library’s Enquiry Desk. The manual attempts to combine simplicity with completeness, an admittedly foolhardy aim. It is a grass-roots document, in the sense that it is written ‘from...
The Impact of History on Traditional Asian Medicine
Dr. Dominik Wujastyk of the Department of History and Classics, University of Alberta discusses the practices of "ancient" medicines in the modern world. Iconography of the presence of medical practices in the modern world.
Introduction: The book consists of 87 chapters and an epilogue, arranged in 15 broad topical sections such as "Food and Drink," "Poisoning," "Birth and Development of a Human Being," and "Rules for Healthy Living." There is a substantial introduction of 34 pages. A pleasing feature of the book is...
SSHRC Awarded IG 2020: The Compendium of Sushruta (Sushrutasamhita) is an ancient Indian medical text that was was used to diagnose and treat patients in South Asia two thousand years ago and continues to influence the study of medicine even today. The Compendium of Sushruta presents baffling...
Introduction: It can come as a surprise to discover that buried in one of the earliest medical treatises in Sanskrit is a short tract on the yogic path to liberation. This tract-a mere thirty-nine verses-occurs in the Chapter on the Embodied Person (Satirasthana) in the Compendium of Caraka...