Download the full-sized PDF
Permanent link (DOI): https://doi.org/10.7939/R3Z72Q
This file is in the following communities:
|Graduate Studies and Research, Faculty of|
This file is in the following collections:
|Theses and Dissertations|
On Random Field CAPTCHA Generation Open Access
- Other title
Optical character recognition
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
- Supervisor and department
Kouritzin, Michael (Mathematical and Statistical Sciences)
- Examining committee member and department
Schmuland, Byron (Mathematical and Statistical Sciences)
Chough, Keumhee Carrière (Mathematical and Statistical Sciences)
Hillen, Thomas (Mathematical and Statistical Sciences)
Department of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Science
- Degree level
In this thesis, we develop a novel method of generating CAPTCHAs, which are used to
protect online resources from abuse by computer agents.
We view CAPTCHA generation as random field simulation
and construct a CAPTCHA by evolving an initial state via resimulating pixels until the image becomes readable.
We empirically demonstrate that this CAPTCHA is easy for humans to read but difficult for computer programs to crack.
We describe how to develop variants of this CAPTCHA; in particular, we implement and assess the utility of a grey-level variant.
We establish a method of maximizing the effectiveness of a CAPTCHA variant, and perform analysis to determine which properties
of the CAPTCHA most effectively differentiate humans and computer programs.
We extend the random field used in the CAPTCHA application to multiple dimensions in the context of graph theory,
and describe the generic method of applying the random field to suitable problems.
- Permission is hereby granted to the University of Alberta Libraries to reproduce single copies of this thesis and to lend or sell such copies for private, scholarly or scientific research purposes only. Where the thesis is converted to, or otherwise made available in digital form, the University of Alberta will advise potential users of the thesis of these terms. The author reserves all other publication and other rights in association with the copyright in the thesis and, except as herein before provided, neither the thesis nor any substantial portion thereof may be printed or otherwise reproduced in any material form whatsoever without the author's prior written permission.
- Citation for previous publication
M. Kouritzin, F. Newton, and B. Wu, “On Random Field CAPTCHA Generation,” Accepted with Mandatory Minor Revisions to IEEE Trans- actions on Image Processing.F. Newton and M. Kouritzin, “On grey levels in random captcha gener- ation,” in Proceedings of SPIE Visual Information Processing XX, vol. 8056, 2011, pp. 80 560U–80 560U–12.
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (Portable Document Format)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 580528
Last modified: 2015:10:12 14:54:32-06:00
Filename: Newton_Fraser_Fall 2012.pdf
Original checksum: 59f44a1ac2ce154f2ec8eaa9e19bf593
Well formed: true
File title: Introduction
File title: On Random Field CAPTCHA Generation
File author: Fraser Newton
Page count: 90