Download the full-sized PDF
This file is in the following communities:
|Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research|
This file is not currently in any collections.
Towards Supervisory Control for Remote Mobile Manipulation: Designing, Building, and Testing a Mobile Telemanipulation Test-Bed Open Access
- Other title
Off The Shelf Components
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
Hernandez Herdocia, Alejandro
- Supervisor and department
Martin Jagersand (Computing Science)
- Examining committee member and department
Hong Zhang (Computing Science)
Mahdi Tavakoli (Electrical and Computer Engineering)
Department of Computing Science
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Science
- Degree level
This dissertation has two main contributions, a modular design of a mobile manipulator and a set of tele-operation performance experiments using this platform. To experimentally evaluate system performance and operator preferences, several tests were designed: 1) Which robot camera placement provides the best operator information. 2) A comparison of alternative master-slave motion coordination schemes. 3) A comparison of some semi-autonomous "software helper" routines to see if they improve manipulation and reduce task load on the operators. Additionally two case studies show how the system was successful in performing complete mobile manipulation tasks, in particular, large-displacement pick-and-place and opening a door to exit a room. A goal of the project was to show how a high-end mobile manipulator can be integrated from off the shelf hardware parts and open-source software libraries.
- Permission is hereby granted to the University of Alberta Libraries to reproduce single copies of this thesis and to lend or sell such copies for private, scholarly or scientific research purposes only. Where the thesis is converted to, or otherwise made available in digital form, the University of Alberta will advise potential users of the thesis of these terms. The author reserves all other publication and other rights in association with the copyright in the thesis and, except as herein before provided, neither the thesis nor any substantial portion thereof may be printed or otherwise reproduced in any material form whatsoever without the author's prior written permission.
- Citation for previous publication
A. Hernandez-Herdocia, A. Shademan, and M. Jagersand, “Building a mobile manipulator from off-the-shelf components,” in Proc. IEEE/ASME Int Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM) Conf, 2010, pp. 1116–1121.
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (Portable Document Format)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 9932329
Last modified: 2015:10:12 21:00:40-06:00
Original checksum: f77488b1fcf3cc787fac2d94d472ce7e
Well formed: false
Status message: Lexical error offset=9921752
Page count: 130