ERA

Download the full-sized PDF of Post-CHOPS EOR using Gas Solvents and AirDownload the full-sized PDF

Analytics

Share

Permanent link (DOI): https://doi.org/10.7939/R3M32NQ3Z

Download

Export to: EndNote  |  Zotero  |  Mendeley

Communities

This file is in the following communities:

Graduate Studies and Research, Faculty of

Collections

This file is in the following collections:

Theses and Dissertations

Post-CHOPS EOR using Gas Solvents and Air Open Access

Descriptions

Other title
Subject/Keyword
foamy oil
CO2
Cyclic Solvent Injection
methane
core-flooding
post-CHOPS
EOR
Air
Type of item
Thesis
Degree grantor
University of Alberta
Author or creator
Soh, Ye-Ji
Supervisor and department
Tayfun Babadagli (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering)
Examining committee member and department
Ergun Kuru (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering)
Huazhou Li (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering)
Department
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Specialization
Petroleum Engineering
Date accepted
2017-08-30T13:41:04Z
Graduation date
2017-11:Fall 2017
Degree
Master of Science
Degree level
Master's
Abstract
As a follow-up method after CHOPS (Cold Heavy Oil Production with Sands), CSI (Cyclic Solvent Injection) was widely accepted in the oil industry. After injected gas solvents with high pressure are dissolved in a heavy-oil reservoir, produced oil shows dispersed gas-phase in the oil, which is known as “foamy oil”. This thesis reports an experimental study of foamy oil created by various gas solvents, such as CH4, CO2, mixture-form of CH4 and C3H8, or a combination of gas solvents with air. The particular focus was on air used as an EOR (enhanced oil recovery) agent due to its low cost. Experimental data shows that methane live oil -primary- production by depletion gave about 14% oil recovery. But, with additional CO2 huff ‘n’ puff, recovery increased by around 15%, totaling 29% recovery. Methane-propane mixture only recovered about 5% due to decreased foamy effect by good mixing property of propane. Next, different pressure depletion rates, namely -0.23, -0.51, and -1.53 psi/minute, were applied and more oil was produced with increasing depletion rates. Two schemes using air (alternate injection and co-injection) were carried out with CH4 and CO2 and three huff-n-puff cycles were tested. As a result, air huff-n-puff (HnP) followed by 2-cycles of CH4 HnP showed 36.21% recovery, while air HnP followed by 2-cycles of CO2 HnP yielded 30.36% oil recovery. When gas solvents and air were injected together, air 50%-CO2 50% and air 50%-CH4 50% recovered 29.85% and 23.74% of total oil-in-place, respectively. A numerical study was also conducted in core-to-field-scale, predominantly on methane foamy oil production in various scenarios; e.g. by assigning different well patterns and injection/soaking periods. The solution GOR (gas oil ratio) versus saturation pressure data from methane depletion experiments was matched using the Peng-Robinson equation of state method and the K-values were generated by the Crookston equation. The K-values, which model equilibrium condition of the fluid, were used with reaction coefficients, which helped in representing non-equilibrium status of foamy oil. Core-scale simulation showed mostly less than 5% error, which can be accepted as a valid match. These matched data were used in a field-scale model to analyze the performance of cyclic methane injection. In field scale modeling, 15-well data from a CHOPS field in Alberta, Canada were history matched and 6-cycle CSI performances were followed as post-CHOPS with different well patterns (central, peripheral, all-wells). In field scale modeling, all-well huff ‘n’ puff-type pattern brought about slightly higher oil recovery than central and peripheral well patterns. Sensitivity analyses were carried out with a variety of scenarios by changing injection/soaking period and pressure decline rates. The ratio of injection to soaking period was observed to be more important than the injection period itself in terms of production efficiency.
Language
English
DOI
doi:10.7939/R3M32NQ3Z
Rights
This thesis is made available by the University of Alberta Libraries with permission of the copyright owner solely for the purpose of private, scholarly or scientific research. This thesis, or any portion thereof, may not otherwise be copied or reproduced without the written consent of the copyright owner, except to the extent permitted by Canadian copyright law.
Citation for previous publication

File Details

Date Uploaded
Date Modified
2017-08-30T19:41:05.295+00:00
Audit Status
Audits have not yet been run on this file.
Characterization
File format: pdf (PDF/A)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 8032261
Last modified: 2017:11:08 17:31:31-07:00
Filename: Soh_Ye-Ji_201708_MSc.pdf
Original checksum: 18d1dc484844d71d21c87d4b871fd002
Activity of users you follow
User Activity Date