Hybrid Polymer Plasmonic Devices for Enhanced All-Plasmonic Switching Based on Photothermal Nonlinearity Open Access
- Other title
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
Perron, David H.
- Supervisor and department
Van, Vien (Electrical and Computer Engineering)
- Examining committee member and department
Tsui, Ying (Electrical and Computer Engineering)
Iyer, Ashwin (Electrical and Computer Engineering)
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Photonics and Plasmas
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Science
- Degree level
Nanoplasmonic devices have received much attention in recent years due to their ability to confine light below the diffraction limit, thereby providing a potential route to the creation of nanometer-scale integrated photonic devices. However, with the strong confinement of light come large absorption losses and the resulting joule heating in the metal layers. This conversion of light into heat can have significant impact on the device performance as material properties change. On the other hand, it can also give rise to large photothermal effects which can be exploited for nonlinear device applications.
This thesis explores the possibilities of exploiting the strong photothermal nonlinearity associated with the absorption of light in plasmonic devices for all-plasmonic switching applications. A hybrid plasmonic waveguide based on a polymer material is proposed and designed to achieve strong photothermal nonlinear effects. It is found that the large absorption in the plasmonic waveguide leads to a thermo-optic change in the material's refractive index that is two orders of magnitude greater than in a similar photonic waveguide structure. The strong photothermal nonlinearity is exploited in the creation and experimental demonstration of an all-plasmonic switching device based on an all-pass microring resonator.
- Permission is hereby granted to the University of Alberta Libraries to reproduce single copies of this thesis and to lend or sell such copies for private, scholarly or scientific research purposes only. The author reserves all other publication and other rights in association with the copyright in the thesis and, except as herein before provided, neither the thesis nor any substantial portion thereof may be printed or otherwise reproduced in any material form whatsoever without the author's prior written permission.
- Citation for previous publication
D. Perron, M. Wu, C. Horvath, D. Bachman and V. Van, "All-plasmonic switching based on thermal nonlinearity in a polymer plasmonic microring resonator," Optics Letters, vol. 36, no. 14, pp. 2731-2733, 2011.C. Horvath, D. Bachman, M. Wu, D. Perron and V. Van, "Polymer Hybrid Plasmonic Waveguides and Microring Resonators," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 23, no. 17, pp. 1267-1269, 2011.
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (PDF/X)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 1584714
Last modified: 2016:06:24 17:09:37-06:00
Original checksum: f1d0c6073e4f6e67241409d28863ccf7
Activity of users you follow