SearchSkip to Search Results
- 475Oil Sands Research and Information Network (OSRIN)
- 221Oil Sands Research and Information Network (OSRIN)/AOSERP Reports
- 83Oil Sands Research and Information Network (OSRIN)/Government of Alberta Reports
- 72Oil Sands Research and Information Network (OSRIN)/OSRIN Technical Reports
- 61Oil Sands Research and Information Network (OSRIN)/Syncrude Canada Ltd. Reports
- 32Graduate Studies and Research, Faculty of
- 5Article (Draft / Submitted)
- 5Research Material
- 2Conference/Workshop Poster
- 2Conference/Workshop Presentation
- 10Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
- 9Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 5Department of Renewable Resources
- 3Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
- 1Chemical and Materials Engineering
- 1Department of Mechanical Engineering
- 2Ulrich, Ania (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering)
- 2Zeng, Hongbo (Chemical and Materials Engineering)
- 1Askari-Nasab, Hooman (Civil and Environmental Engineering)
- 1Choi, Phillip (Chemical and Materials Engineering)
- 1Choi,Phillip (Chemical and Materials Engineering)
There is considerable focus on oil sands transportation fuel production. However, most studies focus on greenhouse gas emissions; there is limited work on understanding the life cycle water footprint. This study is an effort to address this gap. The main objective of this study is to develop...
Possible thunderstorm modifications caused by the Athabasca oil sands development and the Canadian ShieldDownload
Thunderstorms are common in boreal forest regions and can cause dangerous hazards such as lightning, forest fires, hail, wind, and flooding. Significant research has been conducted to help predict thunderstorms to mitigate or avoid the hazards and damage. The development of thunderstorms...
This study explores the hydrothermal liquefaction (HTL) of wood chips to bio-crude followed by upgrading to diluents, which are used to transport bitumen through pipelines. In this study, we considered a 2000 dry t day-1 plant capacity with two scenarios. The first scenario uses hydrogen for...
Reclamation of Unconventional Oil Processed Water through the Adsorption of Naphthenic Acids by Carbon XerogelDownload
This study examines the use of carbon xerogel (CX) material for the adsorption of naphthenic acids (NAs). The adsorption of NAs is crucial for the reclamation of unconventional oil processed water, more specifically Alberta’s oil sands process-affected water (OSPW). CX material is synthesized at...
A techno-economic assessment of bitumen and synthetic crude oil transport (SCO) in the Canadian oil sands industry: Oil via rail or pipeline?Download
The growth in bitumen and synthetic crude oil (SCO) production in the Canadian oil sands industry has superseded pipeline capacity growth in recent years, leading to the increased interest in the transport of crude oil by rail to desired markets. However, the specific techno-economic parameters...
This thesis aims to demonstrate the feasibility of using System Dynamics (SD) techniques to develop a transparent, open-source and reproducible model capable of simulating long-term soil water dynamics in a tailings-cap system subject to upward flux from a consolidating tailings substrate. The...
Protecting Worker Safety in Alberta by Enhancing Hazard Identification and Control for Hazards Associated with Tailings Facilities, Dams, and SystemsDownload
My research was motivated by a fatality that occurred at an oil sands tailings operation on January 19, 2014, when a worker drowned in an underground cavern which formed under a leaking tailings transport system. At the time of the incident, the organization and workers did not know that ground...
An Examination of the Effect of Diluent on Microbial Dynamics in Oil Sands Tailings and the Mechanistic Insight on Carbon Dioxide-mediated Turbidity Reduction in Oil Sands Surface WaterDownload
Oil sands fluid fine tailings (FFT) are comprised of sand, silt, clay, residual organics, salt, trace metals and process-affected water (OSPW). In order to accommodate and remediate large amounts of FFT, a full-scale demonstration pit lake, where FFT was capped with a mixture of OSPW and fresh...