Petrographic and X-ray Microtomographic Analysis of the Upper Montney Formation, Northeastern British Columbia, Canada Open Access
- Other title
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
Playter, Tiffany L
- Supervisor and department
J-P Zonneveld (Earth and Atmospheric Sciences)
Murray Gingras (Earth and Atmospheric Sciences)
- Examining committee member and department
S. George Pemberton (Earth and Atmospheric Sciences)
Kurt Konhauser (Earth and Atmospheric Sciences)
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Science
- Degree level
Utilizing electron microprobe (EMP), scanning electron microscope (SEM) and petrographic analysis, 14 thin sections from the Upper Montney Formation were analyzed. Five microfacies were identified. Rock types observed include: dolomitic lithic arkos, dolomitic litharenite, dolomitic feldspathic litharenite and dolomitic feldspathic litharenite. These microfacies are interpreted to be dominantly event beds, possibly sourced from turbidity currents. Depositional environments range from the lower shoreface to offshore. Pyrite analysis suggests deposition in dominantly disoxyic conditions, with 3 anoxia spikes in association with a decrease in ocean acidity.
Additionally, microfocus-computed tomographic analysis was conducted on a representative sample from the Upper Montney. By comparing these analyses with EMP images, 3-D mineral characterization was made possible. This technique reveals low overall porosity and the presence of dedolomite.
- Permission is hereby granted to the University of Alberta Libraries to reproduce single copies of this thesis and to lend or sell such copies for private, scholarly or scientific research purposes only. Where the thesis is converted to, or otherwise made available in digital form, the University of Alberta will advise potential users of the thesis of these terms. The author reserves all other publication and other rights in association with the copyright in the thesis and, except as herein before provided, neither the thesis nor any substantial portion thereof may be printed or otherwise reproduced in any material form whatsoever without the author's prior written permission.
- Citation for previous publication
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (PDF/X)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 4839332
Last modified: 2015:10:12 11:38:31-06:00
Filename: Playter_Tiffany_Spring 2013.pdf
Original checksum: e484745ae2e4ca8ceab3276478fd7f3c
Activity of users you follow