Download the full-sized PDF
This file is in the following communities:
|Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research|
This file is not currently in any collections.
Life Cycle Assessment of Biomass Conversion Pathways Open Access
- Other title
Life cycle assessment
Net energy ratio
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
Kabir, Md R
- Supervisor and department
Kumar, Amit (Mechanical Engineering)
- Examining committee member and department
Ma, Yongsheng (Mechanical Engineering)
Gupta, Rajender (Chemical and Materials Engineering)
Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Science
- Degree level
This study has investigated the life cycle of three biomass feedstocks including forest residue, agricultural residue, and whole forest for biohydrogen and biopower production in Alberta. Three technologies are studied for biohydrogen production; these include the Battelle Columbus Laboratory gasifier, the Gas Technology Institute gasifier, and fast pyrolysis. The life cycle greenhouse gas emissions for nine biohydrogen pathways lie in the range of 1.20–8.1 kg CO2eq/kg H2. Biomass feedstocks in various forms (chip, bale, pellet, and torrefied pellet) are analyzed for direct and parallel co-firing technology. Biomass can be co-fired with coal in the scale of 7.53−20.45%, depending on the types of feedstocks and densification technologies. The life cycle greenhouse gas emissions for nine biopower pathways lie in the range of 957−1091 kgCO2eq/MWh. This study also analyzes the life cycle acid rain and ground level ozone precursor emissions, and evaluates net energy ratio for various biohydrogen and biopower pathways.
- Permission is hereby granted to the University of Alberta Libraries to reproduce single copies of this thesis and to lend or sell such copies for private, scholarly or scientific research purposes only. Where the thesis is converted to, or otherwise made available in digital form, the University of Alberta will advise potential users of the thesis of these terms. The author reserves all other publication and other rights in association with the copyright in the thesis and, except as herein before provided, neither the thesis nor any substantial portion thereof may be printed or otherwise reproduced in any material form whatsoever without the author's prior written permission.
- Citation for previous publication
Kabir, M.R., Kumar, A., 2011. Development of Net Energy Ratio and Emission Factor for Biohydrogen Production Pathways. Bioresource Technology 102 (19), 8972-8985.
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (Portable Document Format)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 1385957
Last modified: 2015:10:12 19:29:15-06:00
Filename: Kabir_Md Ruhul_Spring 2012.pdf
Original checksum: 3c3d58d7aa7a5ea320cff821f9192d56
Well formed: true
File author: User
Page count: 161
File language: en-US