Download the full-sized PDF
Permanent link (DOI): https://doi.org/10.7939/R3TD9NG3F
This file is in the following communities:
|Biological Sciences, Department of|
This file is in the following collections:
|Journal Articles (Biological Sciences)|
The Helvellaceae: Systematic revision and occurrence in northern and northwestern North America Open Access
- Author or creator
Abbott, S. P.
Currah, R. S.
- Additional contributors
- Type of item
- Journal Article (Published)
(0) Save to: more options The Helvellaceae: Systematic revision and occurrence in northern and northwestern North America Author(s): Abbott, SP (Abbott, SP); Currah, RS (Currah, RS) Source: MYCOTAXON Volume: 62 Pages: 1-125 Published: APR-MAY 1997 Times Cited: 9 (from Web of Science) Cited References: 236 [ view related records ] Citation Map Abstract: Epigeous genera of the Helvellaceae (Pezizales, Ascomycota) are separated into tribes Helvelleae and Gyromitreae on the basis of excipulum structure, while hypogeous genera are included as incertae sedis at the tribe level. Ornamentation of ascospores (SEM) is valuable in the delimitation of genera, subgenera, and species. New subgenera proposed are Gyromitra subgenus Melaleucoides subgen. nov., with warted, nonapiculate, biguttulate ascospores; Gyromitra subgenus Caroliniana subgen. nov., with coarsely reticulate ascospores with multiple spicules at the poles; Helvella subgenus Cupuliformae subgen. nov., with regularly cupulate apothecia, solid terete stipes, and broadly ellipsoidal, finely rugose ascospores; and Hydnotrya subgenus Cerebriformae subgen. nov., with globose, echinate ascospores. Gyromitra subgenus Discina is emended New combinations include Helvella subgenus Leucomelaenae comb. nov, Helvella subgenus Silvicolae comb. nov., Helvella subgenus Macropodes comb. nov., and Helvella subgenus Elasticae comb. nov. Epigeous taxa and hypogeous taxa with chambered ascocarps were studied in detail. Collections of 44 species in six genera (Gyromitra, Rhizina, Pseudorhizina, Helvella, Underwoodia, and Hydnotrya) from northern and northwestern North America are described. One extralimital genus (Gymnohydnotrya) and 15 species outside the study area are included with systematic notes. The known geographic range for many species is extended and there are several new records for North America (Helvella rivularis, H. verruculosa, H. unicolor). Maps and keys for taxa in northern and northwestern North America are provided.
- Date created
- License information
- © 1997 Mycotaxon. This version of this article is open access and can be downloaded and shared. The original author(s) and source must be cited.
- Citation for previous publication
SP Abbott and RS Currah. (1997). The Helvellaceae: Systematic revision and occurrence in northern and northwestern North America. Mycotaxon, 62, 1-125.
- Link to related item
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (Portable Document Format)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 26843301
Last modified: 2015:10:12 17:51:13-06:00
Original checksum: db1429161a1ba277985764fb5ac97805
Well formed: true
File title: 0001b.jpg
Page count: 125