Effects of feeding 3-nitrooxypropanol to lactating dairy cows on methane emissions, animal performance and rumen fermentation Open Access
- Other title
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
Haisan, Jennifer L
- Supervisor and department
Oba, Masahito (Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science)
- Examining committee member and department
Wilson, John (Earth and Atmospheric Sciences)
Beauchemin, Karen (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
Okine, Erasmus (Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science)
Department of Agricultural, Food, and Nutritional Science
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Science
- Degree level
Methane emissions from ruminants are of great concern as they contribute to greenhouse gasses emitted within the atmosphere. The objective of this research was to evaluate a novel biochemical compound, 3-nitrooxypropanol, on its ability to reduce methane emissions and its impact on animal performance and rumen fermentation when fed to lactating dairy cows. In Study 1, feeding 2,500 mg/d 3-nitrooxypropanol in a 38% forage diet reduced methane emissions by 60% and increased body weight gain. In Study 2, feeding 1,250 and 2,500 mg/d 3-nitrooxypropanol in a 60% forage diet reduced methane emissions by 23 and 37%, respectively, and increased nutrient digestibility. In both studies, feed intake and animal performance were not negatively affected. These findings suggest that 3-nitrooxypropanol can reduce methane emissions from lactating dairy cows without adverse effects.
- Permission is hereby granted to the University of Alberta Libraries to reproduce single copies of this thesis and to lend or sell such copies for private, scholarly or scientific research purposes only. Where the thesis is converted to, or otherwise made available in digital form, the University of Alberta will advise potential users of the thesis of these terms. The author reserves all other publication and other rights in association with the copyright in the thesis and, except as herein before provided, neither the thesis nor any substantial portion thereof may be printed or otherwise reproduced in any material form whatsoever without the author's prior written permission.
- Citation for previous publication
Haisan, J., Y. Sun, L. L. Guan, K. A. Beauchemin, A. Iwaasa, S. Duval, D. R. Barreda, and M. Oba. The effects of feeding 3-nitrooxypropanol on methane emissions and productivity of Holstein cows in mid lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 97:3110-3119.
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (PDF/A)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 1191678
Last modified: 2015:10:12 20:27:40-06:00
Original checksum: f87ea95b41978f6f0fd9f2d5475e4055
Activity of users you follow