Anterior and Middle Cranial Base Growth and Development Changes as Assessed Through CBCT Imaging in Adolescents Open Access
- Other title
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
- Supervisor and department
Lagravere, Manuel (Orthodontics)
Flores-Mir, Carlos (Orthodontics)
- Examining committee member and department
Stevenson, Thomas (Dentistry)
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Science
- Degree level
Introduction: In this study three dimensional Cone beam computed tomography is used to evaluate intra-rater, inter-rater and accuracy of selected 3D landmarks of anterior and middle cranial bases. Growth related dimensional changes of anterior and middle cranial base structures are then assessed in adolescents with the use of landmarks.
Methods: CBCTs of 10 dry skulls were used to assess reliability and accuracy of landmarks. Secondly, CBCTs of adolescents at two time points (19 months apart) were assessed for dimensional changes due to growth using the landmarks selected in the first step.
Results: The majority of proposed 3D landmarks with the exception of lesser wing and foramen Spinosum showed acceptable intra-rater and inter-rater reliability and accuracy. Minor changes were observed in the anterior and middle cranial base structures due to growth.
Conclusion: The mid-sagittal area of the anterior cranial base from foramen Caecum to the presphenoid area in the antero-posterior dimension was found to be stable. Minor growth related dimensional changes were observed in the anterior and middle cranial bases in adolescents. The magnitude of the changes were very small and could be reflective of measurement error.
- Permission is hereby granted to the University of Alberta Libraries to reproduce single copies of this thesis and to lend or sell such copies for private, scholarly or scientific research purposes only. The author reserves all other publication and other rights in association with the copyright in the thesis and, except as herein before provided, neither the thesis nor any substantial portion thereof may be printed or otherwise reproduced in any material form whatsoever without the author's prior written permission.
- Citation for previous publication
Afrand, M., Ling, C. P., Khosrotehrani, S., Flores-Mir, C., & Lagravère-Vich, M. O. (2014). Anterior cranial-base time-related changes: A systematic review.American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, 146(1), 21-32.
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (PDF/A)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 4176079
Last modified: 2016:06:24 17:00:51-06:00
Original checksum: 75a29afb42a00c7f9d42ec2b4445996e
Activity of users you follow