Download the full-sized PDF
This file is in the following communities:
|Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research|
This file is not currently in any collections.
Translating a Short Story by Hans-Jürgen Greif: Cats, Opera and Proverbs Open Access
- Other title
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
Marks, Cynthia A.
- Supervisor and department
Malena, Anne (Modern Languages and Cultural Studies)
- Examining committee member and department
Patricia Demers (English & Film Studies)
Marie Carrière (Modern Languages and Cultural Studies)
Lynn Penrod (Modern Languages and Cultural Studies)
Department of Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Arts
- Degree level
This thesis discusses the challenges encountered when translating Hans-Jürgen Greif’s short story “N’appelle pas le chat pour mettre d’accord deux oiseaux” into English. In the first part, the thesis briefly examines a biography of Greif and his previous works, before identifying some of the difficulties observed during the process of translation. Particular attention is paid to the translation of proverbs and the challenges of translating the short story structure. The thesis then investigates the differences between sentence structures in the source and the target language, and how they affected the translation process. Following an overview of the opera world at the time of the story’s setting and how it may have influenced Greif’s work, the thesis provides an explanation of why this particular story was selected to be translated. The thesis concludes with an original translation of “N’appelle pas le chat pour mettre d’accord deux oiseaux” into English.
- Permission is hereby granted to the University of Alberta Libraries to reproduce single copies of this thesis and to lend or sell such copies for private, scholarly or scientific research purposes only. Where the thesis is converted to, or otherwise made available in digital form, the University of Alberta will advise potential users of the thesis of these terms. The author reserves all other publication and other rights in association with the copyright in the thesis and, except as herein before provided, neither the thesis nor any substantial portion thereof may be printed or otherwise reproduced in any material form whatsoever without the author's prior written permission.
- Citation for previous publication
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (Portable Document Format)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 591132
Last modified: 2015:10:18 01:39:32-06:00
Filename: Marks_Cynthia_Spring 2012.pdf
Original checksum: ea0b15dabb73f58b8bf42dac511d1bce
Well formed: true
File author: Owner
Page count: 121
File language: en-CA