Two New Species and a Revised Phylogeny of the Ellimmichthyiformes (Teleostei: Clupeomorpha) Open Access
- Other title
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
Vernygora, Oksana V
- Supervisor and department
Murray, Alison M (Biological Sciences)
- Examining committee member and department
Proctor, Heather C (Biological Sciences)
Currie, Philip J (Biological Sciences)
Department of Biological Sciences
Systematics and Evolution
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Science
- Degree level
The Ellimmichthyiformes is an extinct order of clupeomorph fishes. This group includes fossil species from marine, estuarine, and freshwater sediments ranging in time from the Early Cretaceous to the Eocene. In spite of the long history of taxonomic studies on the Clupeomorpha, phylogenetic relationships within the group remain unresolved. Two new species of the Ellimmichthyiformes are described and included in the revised phylogenetic analysis of the order. The updated phylogenetic analysis recovered the Ellimmichthyiformes as a monophyletic group characterized by the medially united parietals, absence of the recessus lateralis, presence of the basipterygoid process, and epurals that are tightly fixed between the neural spines of the preural centra. The new phylogenetic hypothesis revealed patterns in the paleobiogeographic history of this group of fishes, suggesting that the ellimmichthyiforms may have originated in the tropical region of South America and were predominantly euryhaline fishes.
- Permission is hereby granted to the University of Alberta Libraries to reproduce single copies of this thesis and to lend or sell such copies for private, scholarly or scientific research purposes only. The author reserves all other publication and other rights in association with the copyright in the thesis and, except as herein before provided, neither the thesis nor any substantial portion thereof may be printed or otherwise reproduced in any material form whatsoever without the author's prior written permission.
- Citation for previous publication
Vernygora, O. V. and A. M. Murray. (In press) A new species of Armigatus (Clupeomorpha, Ellimmichthyiformes) from the Late Cretaceous of Morocco, and its phylogenetic relationships. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 36 (2).
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (PDF/A)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 4996802
Last modified: 2016:06:24 17:01:35-06:00
Original checksum: fca7c07287a4e52c96bc7f14a87b5be7
Activity of users you follow