Depression Symptoms in Older Adults with Coronary Artery Disease: A Population Based Study Open Access
- Other title
Coronary artery disease
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
Fahreen, Rajani I.
- Supervisor and department
Gerri Lasiuk (Faculty of Nursing)
Colleen Norris (Faculty of Nursing)
- Examining committee member and department
Elisavet Papathanasoglou (Faculty of Nursing)
Edith Pituskin (Nursing | Medicine & Dentistry | Rehabilitation Medicine Oncology)
Kathleen Hunter ((Faculty of Nursing))
Faculty of Nursing
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Nursing
- Degree level
Coronary artery disease (CAD) is the leading cause of mortality in developed countries, followed by depression. Recent literature supports a bidirectional relationship between depression and CAD, which adversely affects the quality of life. Although there is a high prevalence of co-occurring CAD and depression, there is limited research on relationship of depression and aging in individuals with CAD. This study employs analytical cross sectional design to identify the relationships between depressive symptoms and aging and identifies factors predicting higher scores on depression screening scales in individuals with CAD. The analyses revealed that older adults reported significantly higher scores on Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS) in comparison to younger adults. Moreover female sex, age ≥75 years, smoking, physical limitation, anxiety and social support were independent predictors of depression in individuals with CAD. There is a need to further study the dynamics of depression in older adults with CAD and the effect of depression treatment on morbidity, mortality and quality of life.
- This thesis is made available by the University of Alberta Libraries with permission of the copyright owner solely for the purpose of private, scholarly or scientific research. This thesis, or any portion thereof, may not otherwise be copied or reproduced without the written consent of the copyright owner, except to the extent permitted by Canadian copyright law.
- Citation for previous publication
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (PDF/A)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 2023037
Last modified: 2017:06:13 12:17:30-06:00
Original checksum: feb5a1a64ae48619425b30b687e133f2
Activity of users you follow