The Politics of Funding: The Impact of Federal and Corporate Funding on the Art Gallery of Alberta and the Art Gallery of Ontario Open Access
- Other title
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
Eggert, Sarah H.
- Supervisor and department
McTavish, Lianne (Art and Design)
- Examining committee member and department
Boone, M. Elizabeth “Betsy” (Art and Design)
Davis, Walter (Art and Design)
Department of Art and Design
History of Art, Design, and Visual Culture
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Arts
- Degree level
This thesis critically examines the influence exerted by both the federal government and corporate sponsors on arts institutions in Canada. Focusing on the Art Gallery of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta and the Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto, Ontario, the author outlines the historical influence of federal funding. The role that corporate sponsorship has come to play in offsetting a lack of financial support from the Government of Canada is also critically examined within the scope of this thesis. The author argues that gallery administration attempts to mimic the language used in the Government of Canada’s federal policy for museums in order to appeal for more substantial federal support. At the same time, the author also contends that gallery management also utilizes the language of corporate mission and vision statements in order to appeal to alternate sources of funding, such as corporate sponsors.
- This thesis is made available by the University of Alberta Libraries with permission of the copyright owner solely for the purpose of private, scholarly or scientific research. This thesis, or any portion thereof, may not otherwise be copied or reproduced without the written consent of the copyright owner, except to the extent permitted by Canadian copyright law.
- Citation for previous publication
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (PDF/A)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 782680
Last modified: 2017:11:08 17:54:02-07:00
Original checksum: e7b0cab1a83d7dfcbf9391fc650ce5fe
Activity of users you follow