Estimating Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator) Populations in Alberta and Response to Disturbance Open Access
- Other title
Stratified Random Sampling
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
Looft, Jerrod A.
- Supervisor and department
- Examining committee member and department
Nielson, Scott (Renewable Resources)
Belland, Rene (Renewable Resources)
Department of Renewable Resources
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Science
- Degree level
Trumpeter Swans (Cygnus buccinator) were once widespread across much of North America, but after years of exploitation were reduced to near extinction. This research addressed the extent that human disturbance is affecting Trumpeter Swan breeding productivity and developed a more efficient survey method for populations in Alberta. Disturbance experiments were conducted using a pedestrian to determine the range a disturbance response is elicited. The relationship between swan breeding productivity and distances to landscape human features around nesting lakes was examined using linear regressions. Trumpeter Swans had a maximum escape distance of 1179 m and an average escape distance of 736±46 m (n=19). Disturbance models involving well sites (p=0.033), power lines (p=0.004), and cut lines (p=0.032) in 2010 were significant. Stratified Random Sampling accurately estimated Trumpeter Swan populations in 2000 and 2005 using strata of 0, 1-50, 51-100, and 101+ swans per survey block.
- Permission is hereby granted to the University of Alberta Libraries to reproduce single copies of this thesis and to lend or sell such copies for private, scholarly or scientific research purposes only. Where the thesis is converted to, or otherwise made available in digital form, the University of Alberta will advise potential users of the thesis of these terms. The author reserves all other publication and other rights in association with the copyright in the thesis and, except as herein before provided, neither the thesis nor any substantial portion thereof may be printed or otherwise reproduced in any material form whatsoever without the author's prior written permission.
- Citation for previous publication
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (PDF/A)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 3508208
Last modified: 2015:10:12 16:13:13-06:00
Original checksum: 665a300cf188f23737e751c432cb544d
Activity of users you follow