Download the full-sized PDF
This file is in the following communities:
|Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research|
This file is not currently in any collections.
Growing against the grain: one local food producer's story Open Access
- Other title
food and identity
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
Hammer, Brent A.
- Supervisor and department
Vallianatos, Helen (Anthropology)
- Examining committee member and department
Fletcher, Christopher (Anthropology)
Nykiforuk, Candace (Center for Health Promotion Studies)
Department of Anthropology
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Arts
- Degree level
The author employs a life story interview approach to examine how one farmer, participating in a local food system, constructs an identity as a food producer that reflects their practices, beliefs, and values. Farmers' markets have grown significantly in the past twenty years. Interest in these local food systems has shifted from the original counter-culture, back to the earth movement of the 1960's-80's to focus on issues of safe, healthy, and tasty food produced using natural methods that emphasize economic and environmental sustainability. Embedded in these issues are the social relationships that shape peoples identities. One person's particular story contributes to the understanding of the motivations and meanings involved in the various roles of individuals participating in farmers' markets. Findings from this study support the argument that people, including the food producer, and the production process are vital components that create a taste experience within a local food system.
- Permission is hereby granted to the University of Alberta Libraries to reproduce single copies of this thesis and to lend or sell such copies for private, scholarly or scientific research purposes only. Where the thesis is converted to, or otherwise made available in digital form, the University of Alberta will advise potential users of the thesis of these terms. The author reserves all other publication and other rights in association with the copyright in the thesis and, except as herein before provided, neither the thesis nor any substantial portion thereof may be printed or otherwise reproduced in any material form whatsoever without the author's prior written permission.
- Citation for previous publication
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (Portable Document Format)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 697150
Last modified: 2015:10:12 13:14:05-06:00
Original checksum: 6d0896bd4000c13b3dead32554e5e3c3
Well formed: false
Status message: Invalid page tree node offset=178309
Status message: Unexpected error in findFonts java.lang.ClassCastException: edu.harvard.hul.ois.jhove.module.pdf.PdfSimpleObject cannot be cast to edu.harvard.hul.ois.jhove.module.pdf.PdfDictionary offset=2625
Page count: 75