Optimizing Cultural Conditions for Duct Cells Open Access
- Other title
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
- Supervisor and department
Korbutt Gregory (Surgery)
- Examining committee member and department
Churchil Thomas ( Surgery)
MacDonald Patrick (Pharmacology)
Korbutt Gregory ( Surgery)
Adetola Adesida ( Surgery)
Department of Surgery
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Science
- Degree level
In-vitro expansion of the duct cells of the pancreas was associated with loss of the epithelial phenotype of these cells and acquisition of mesenchymal phenotype. These changes have been explained by epithelial mesenchymal transition.
We have tested the effect of several growth factors that have been used in epithelial cell cultures with a number of different base media. We used geneticin that has been used to limit the growth of mesenchymal cells. Flow cytometry was employed to determine the percentages of EpCAM and Vimentin positive cells in the NEPT.
The use of geneticin was helpful in preserving epithelial cells (~70% EpCAM positive cells) compared to the control (56% EpCAM positive cells) after a week in culture. Moreover we observed that a pancreatic media yielded the highest percentage of EpCAM positive cells (27%) and the lowest percentage of Vimentin positive cells (55%) compared to conventional media after 20 days in vitro.
- Permission is hereby granted to the University of Alberta Libraries to reproduce single copies of this thesis and to lend or sell such copies for private, scholarly or scientific research purposes only. Where the thesis is converted to, or otherwise made available in digital form, the University of Alberta will advise potential users of the thesis of these terms. The author reserves all other publication and other rights in association with the copyright in the thesis and, except as herein before provided, neither the thesis nor any substantial portion thereof may be printed or otherwise reproduced in any material form whatsoever without the author's prior written permission.
- Citation for previous publication
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (Portable Document Format)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 1045412
Last modified: 2015:10:12 14:17:02-06:00
Original checksum: 5b4add1576fb55e724f3c9adbeb95fd0
Well formed: true
Page count: 119
File language: en-US
Activity of users you follow