Download the full-sized PDF
This file is in the following communities:
|Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research|
This file is not currently in any collections.
Studies on the improvement in wear resistance of WC-Co composites by adding a pseudo-elastic TiNi phase and relevant issues Open Access
- Other title
- Type of item
- Degree grantor
University of Alberta
- Author or creator
- Supervisor and department
Li, Dongyang (Chemical and Materials Engineering)
- Examining committee member and department
Eadie, Reginald (Chemical and Materials Engineering)
Xia, Zihui (Mechanical Engineering)
Prasad, Vinay (Chemical and Materials Engineering)
Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
- Date accepted
- Graduation date
Master of Science
- Degree level
In this study, pseudo-elastic TiNi alloy was added as a second phase to the Co matrix of WC-Co composite, which has found many applications in forms of coating, hardfacing overlay and bulk against wear. It was demonstrated that the added TiNi phase markedly enhanced the wear resistance of WC-60%wtCo composite. However, the beneficial effect of the TiNi phase was diminished when the amount of added TiNi exceeded 10wt% due to the formation of pores.
The TiNi alloy was also directly used as the matrix to fabricate WC-TiNi and TiC-TiNi composites. The TiNi-matrix composites exhibited higher wear resistance than WC-Co composite when the volume fraction of the metal matrix was high, e.g., 60vol%. However, the situation was reversed when the volume fraction of the metal matrix was lowered. It appears that the formation of pores was also responsible for the deterioration of the TiNi-matrix composites.
- Permission is hereby granted to the University of Alberta Libraries to reproduce single copies of this thesis and to lend or sell such copies for private, scholarly or scientific research purposes only. Where the thesis is converted to, or otherwise made available in digital form, the University of Alberta will advise potential users of the thesis of these terms. The author reserves all other publication and other rights in association with the copyright in the thesis and, except as herein before provided, neither the thesis nor any substantial portion thereof may be printed or otherwise reproduced in any material form whatsoever without the author's prior written permission.
- Citation for previous publication
Enhancing the wear resistance of sintered WC-Co composite by adding pseudo-elastic TiNi constituent
- Date Uploaded
- Date Modified
- Audit Status
- Audits have not yet been run on this file.
File format: pdf (Portable Document Format)
Mime type: application/pdf
File size: 4279007
Last modified: 2015:10:12 13:13:08-06:00
Original checksum: 886f1d9009b31b8092ad3cedf14efb51
Well formed: false
Status message: Invalid object number or object stream offset=256934
File author: Robert